1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie hen suspect broken leg?? Pictures enclosed, please help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dec1an, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Dec1an

Dec1an Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    Yorkshire, England
    Hi I've brought my silkie in last week hoping if she got some rest get leg may heal but so far no difference.

She seems to want to stretch her leg out (as seen in photo)

Ps her wing isn't damaged, just looks that way as she stretched it out when I took the photo[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dec1an

Dec1an Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    Yorkshire, England
    Can I just add her leg is purple because I sprayed her leg incase of infection

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm sorry to say, but that leg stretching looks a lot like Marek's disease. Marek's comes in many forms, including partial/complete leg paraylisis, internal tumors, wasting away, and other neurological symptoms. Sometimes, it can be treated by giving St. Johns Wort/Hypericum along with supportive care (feeding, watering, etc.), but most of the time, Marek's is untreatable. Most birds waste away until they die.

Still, don't give up on her yet. I'd get some poultry vitamins or polyvisol infant vitamins (without iron) and start giving them to her, along with St. Johns Wort. (here is a thread on that: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/135247/st-johns-wort) Make sure she eats and drinks well, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by