1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie hen walks in circles bumping into things

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sarahs Silkies, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Sarahs Silkies

Sarahs Silkies New Egg

Dec 19, 2014
    I have a silkie hen about 7 months old. She has always been quiet, but recently I have noticed she is bumping into things, which made me think she has problems with her eyes. I also noticed she struggles to walk sometimes. Today she started walking in circles, she was pecking at the feeder but not actually picking up any food. Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong. Is it a lack of vitamins, an eye problem or ears (balance). I don't know what to do.

2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Silkies have a soft skull. Could she have hit her head? I had a chick die from getting pecked in the head. I think it is like a baby's skull, with a gap in the plates. The cost of having the "cute" tuft.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Walking in circles or even backward can be a sign of encephalomalacia or wry neck/torticolis from a deficiency of vitamin E and selenium. It also could be from a head or neck injury, or possibly from a disease such as Mareks or others. Some silkies do have the vaulted skull which can be easy to injure. Vitamins are usually given, limit the noise and stress, and make sure that she is eating a drinking. I would also look at her eyes to make sure the color is normal, no cloudiness is seen, and that the black pupils are both round and the same size. Mareks disease can cause eye changes and blindness, but there are other causes of eye problems in chickens. Most poultry vitamins except the 2 below do not contain selenium, but eggs, chopped nuts, meats, and tuna all contain selenium, in case you use a different chick vitamin.

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

An expert to the rescue!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by