Silkie hen weak and lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by broodiehens, Oct 10, 2013.

1. broodiehens

broodiehens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    I have 2 white silkie hens in my flock. One of them is healthy while the other one is just sitting in the corner all the time. At first I thought she was just brooding until I saw her try to get up. She is too weak to even stand up and walk around. She feels really thin and she hasnt eaten or drank very much. There are little green, runny, gooey, blobs in the bedding material. I dont know if that is from the sick hen or not. What disease is this? Im very worried that she is gonna die!

-Cody

2. broodiehens

Jun 25, 2011
    I guess I will just let the poor thing die because I cant get any help from this forum.

3. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Put her on antibiotics and dust her with 5% sevin dust to begin with.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    How long has she been like this? Was it a gradual onset, of did it happen suddenly? Because of her thinness, I think that she's probably had something wrong for a while. Chickens are, unfortunately, quite adept at disguising illnesses.

Emaciation and lethargy are two symptoms of a high worm infestation. I'd get a dewormer like Safeguard (for goats) or Valbazen. Both dewormers are broad-spectrum, and should get rid of most of the worms. Worming isn't usually recommended on sick birds, but if it is the problem, there's no other choice.

How old is she, and has she been laying? Feel her abdomen. Is it hard or squishy? A hard abdomen might mean that she is egg bound, though if she hasn't been laying, its unlikely. If she's been laying, and is over a year old or so, I might suspect Leukosis. Leukosis causes lethargy, green droppings, and eventual death.

The green droppings are just as likely being caused by her not eating enough. You need to get her to eat. Try offering her some scrambled eggs, or if she won't eat that, try to get her to drink/eat some raw egg. Moistened chicken feed can also entice chickens into eating, as can yogurt and applesauce. Make sure that she drinks enough, too. If you have some, give electrolytes and probiotics, as well as vitamins. If you still can't get her to eat, you should probably look at some information on tube feeding.

Check her for mites and lice. They can sap the energy of a bird, causing weakness. If you see some, dust with Sevin, or spray with a mite spray like Poultry Protector.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I am sorry that nobody has yet responded to your original post..... there are many people that could offer advice.. it is likely that more experienced people ate likely to be online very soon... it is very frustrating when we are faced with illness and we want help quickly.

Approximately how old are your Silkies?

Have they started laying eggs yet ?

Have you ever treated them for lice/mites ?

Have you ever de-wormed them ?

Any sign of blood in her poop ?

Any response you give may help to diagnose whatever it is that your Silkie girl is suffering from...

Thanks

6. broodiehens

Jun 25, 2011
    Thank you so much for replying! She has been making greenish brown droppings for several months but the other symptoms have come recently. They havent laid eggs in awhile. Suebee said to use antibiotics. What antibiotic should I use?

7. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Great!

As I typed this message out to send you some encouragement........ you have already had some helpful advice....

8. broodiehens

Jun 25, 2011
    Im sorry, I didnt see your reply. My silkies are almost1 1/2 years old. They have started laying eggs but they havent laid eggs recently. I havent treated them for lice or mites and I havent ever dewormed them. There is no blood in their poop. Thanks for helping!

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You should tube feed her fluids, then fluids and baby bird food or she will probably die.

-Kathy

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by