Silkie hen went broody again!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Azulegg, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Azulegg

Azulegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    south central PA
    My silkie hen went broody back in January except for this batch was not fertile. The new roo she is in with doesn't seem to want to mate with her. Now she is broody again, and I left a few of her eggs in with her. I don't think they are fertile since I have not seen any mating between her and the roo. Any how, I took some of my Araucana eggs (tufted/rumpless) put about five of those under her, and two buff Ameraucana eggs. This time she should have chicks!

I am crossing my fingers however that Snowball the ED roo maybe did do the deed once or twice. [​IMG]

2. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Here's the link to Spekledhens post on fertility: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/v … p?id=16008

It was really helpful to me when I first started try to hatch.

Good luck hopefully you'll have lots of little fuzzies soon.

3. Azulegg

Azulegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    south central PA
    Thanks shortcake. bTW, I put some of the same hen's eggs under another hen last spring. They definitely were fertilized by another silkie roo (sold him cause he was fugly) as we almost had full grown chicks (chicks died day 18 due to egg explosion under hen days earlier). I was sick as these chicks were beautifully formed.

Any how, we will see if her eggs were fertilized by the new roo. I kind of doubt it.

I'll have to get a picture of her on the nest. She's got herself all spread out over top of the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by