Silkie hen with bleeding neck injury! Help!

CaramelKittey

Crowing
Feb 15, 2019
New Jersey
Hi,
Earlier today around 5:00, my younger sister came running to tell me that our 5-year-old favorite silkie hen Polo has a neck injury. not Sure what time but it happened today. Her skin is pulled back and you can see blood coming from her neck. We put her in a coop by herself with food and water however, she can still see her chicken friends. We put wonder dust on the wound as well. I can provide pictures if needed.

Note: Polo has partially feathered legs and no feathered feet. She is a full sized chicken. Not Bantam. We have a Rhode Island Red rooster who picks on her. She is acting normal for now and still walks about with full energy.

If there is anything I can do for her, please let me know!
Thank in advance!

Thank you!

Can you share some photos of the injury?

What is wonderdust? I'm not familiar with it.
Wonder Dust is a blood stopper used on horses, goats and other show stock. We also have flour however, the wonder dust turns the wound into a blue/purple color so nothing pecks at it. I can provide photos in a couple minutes!
Thank you!

Okay so like a styptic powder. Okay.

Waiting for pictures.

Is there anything around she might have gotten caught on?

For instance it's not a danger to our bird but on of the the tractor coops we built a couple pieces of the ends of hardware cloth stick up. It's safe for the birds but regularly impales us humans.

FF3283FB-A0A1-4383-9CE6-CACF6225C656.jpeg
927C7688-0D10-46D9-AA2E-D22FF3568B87.jpeg
52195069-7334-4DE3-84CC-F728BB19FED1.jpeg
6EBD3916-A1AB-48FB-BE82-2F1245230007.jpeg

Okay so like a styptic powder. Okay.

Waiting for pictures.

Is there anything around she might have gotten caught on?

For instance it's not a danger to our bird but on of the the tractor coops we built a couple pieces of the ends of hardware cloth stick up. It's safe for the birds but regularly impales us humans.
Our coop is pretty secure and there should not be any loose fencing or sharp anythings. Could be a possibility though, thank you for the help!

Back
Top Bottom