Silkie Hen with Cracked Pelvis-- All out of ideas

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silkiechick1994, Dec 25, 2013.

1. silkiechick1994

silkiechick1994 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    Paris TN
    I recently had a straw dog attack my flock and I lost 28. However, 2 managed to play dead and survive. One hen and one Roo. The Roo just had a punctured air sac and after a vet visit and some antibiotics he is out with the rest of the survivors. The hen, however, has not been so lucky. She is fine other then the fact that she won't walk! It's been a few weeks now and I've spent quite a lot on her so I really want her to get better but I'm just out of ideas. she keeps sitting on her butt with her legs stretched out on front of her. I've been doing physical therapy with her daily since I am out of college for break. She at one time started to stand a little but then quickly reversed back to sitting and flopping around. She will only eat if i hold her which makes it hard on my mother if I am not there.

The vet suggested putting her in a sling, but it seemed to make things worse the longer she stayed in it so I only put her in it at night while I'm there. Plus she just spins around and gets tangled up in the string holding her up. I've had to get hard on her and make her stand while she eats but nothing seems to help. It's been about a month or so since the attack and I'm pretty sure the bone has healed I just think she doesn't know she can walk again. If I could just get her back to walking she would be completely back to normal. The vet also said no nerve damage and had an x-ray done on her as well. She currently has a pain medication I give her every day or so. She also had control over her legs and a good strong grip with both of them. Does any one have any ideas on what I could do for her? She's my baby and I want to help her as much as I can.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    is the pain meds too strong? maybe she dont care if she can walk or not.lol maybe its constipating her? she could of healed wrong. there are a lot of different slings you can use that dont involve strings. did you look here in advanced search for other slings? i would recommend another x-ray to see if it healed . hope she gets better

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by