Silkie hen with duck feet

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Georgia Nana, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Georgia Nana

Georgia Nana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Kathleen, Georgia
    I have a beautiful black Silkie hen who is lame as a result of duck feet. Her toes are curled and she can hardly walk. She eats well, but doesn't forage like the rest of the silkies. She eats, drinks, and then wedges herself in between two stationary objects. I did not notice this when I bought her because her feathering is so dense. I have cut her nails (which were Very long!), but don't know what else to do. I keep watching to see if she is suffering, but she eats and drinks and is not thin. What should I do with her? Of course, I would never use her for breeding! I am hoping that someone has had this problem and can help me decide what to do with her. I don't want her to suffer, but she is so very sweet...I can't stand the thought of putting her down!

2. Ok, 2 choices,

1. Get a local anesthetic, a sharp scalpel and cut the webbing. You'll also need bleeding powder, lots of it, antibacterial ointment and vet wrap.

2. Go to the vet and let them cut the webbing. You'll probably get an antibacterial ointment from them, and will probably be told to wrap it around the toes (which is what I'd do in scenario 1 as well). Essentially, do what the vet tells you.

Either way, you need to cut the webbing, keep it clean, stop bleeding, and probably keep her inside for a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by