Silkie hens close to lay?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fly12, Mar 22, 2013.

1. fly12

fly12 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]They are 8 months, at least there supposed to be...They are not squatting or looking at nestboxes

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    from the one picture I can see it looks like a hen

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I also agree it looks like a hen. I always have a hard time telling when my girls are going to lay because they don't get big, red combs. Usually the only indicator I get is squatting. After they squat for me, I get an egg from them sometime in the next 2 weeks.
    At 8 months, she *might* be getting close. I say might because my last non-laying hen finally laid her first eggs...... at one year and two weeks old!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  4. Summerlove

Summerlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    I think some silkies take longer to mature.. and they are more sensitive to less daylight/ colder temps? I have 4 silkies they are almost 10 months old. My 2 partridge started laying around 5 months and went broody near the end of December...[​IMG]. They are currently sharing 5 week old EE chicks. [​IMG] My black silkie laid 2 eggs and went broody in February, I was able to coax her away from broodiness but she hasn't laid an egg since. My buff hasn't laid one egg. My large birds are all laying fine through the snowy, negative temperatures.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Aha! Now I can see more picture :)
    They all look girly to me (if they're truely 8 months old). Pic #3 and the last pic are non bearded (are they the same bird or different?) so that would explain the bigger comb and wattles. If they're younger, I might be worried about the bird(s) in those two pictures.

6. fly12

fly12 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2012

Pic No. 2 and 4 are the same but 3 is a different hen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by