Silkie hens keep running away!

Adnan10

In the Brooder
Dec 12, 2016
My silkies when I try to hold them they run away. Even though I give them food from my hand. I would think they would trust me by now. 3 & 4 month old females. Is it ever possible I would get to a point where they would want me to pick them up and be happy about it?

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Are they hatchery stock? Unfortunately, hatchery Silkies these days do not really share the naturally friendly and docile temperament of true Silkies, such as those from a breeder. Oftentimes they are quite flighty. However, any bird can be tamed down if it is handled enough. Just hold them very frequently and they will likely become more docile.

I think it's truthful to say most chickens do not like being held, it's nothing personal. Maybe if you sit on the ground with them and ignore them ( pretend you are reading or something) I bet they will come closer to check you out. Have a treat or two on your lap and see what happens. If not right away they may get closer each day if you don't grab for them. Let them explore you.

They come eventually decide to sit on your shoulder/or head.

Yes a hatchery. How long should I hold them for and how often? I get home in the afternoons, I usually staight to them. When I pick one up the other is calling her and vice versa.

I like the idea of ignoring them. Funny thing is when they see me, they run to me in hopes of snacks. After they get it, I try to pick them up, then they run away.

Yes a hatchery. How long should I hold them for and how often? I get home in the afternoons, I usually staight to them. When I pick one up the other is calling her and vice versa.

As often and as long as feasible. The calmest chickens I have are those at my workplace (a poultry feed store), because on slow days I have nothing better to do than sit in the office browsing BYC with a bird or three on my lap. Sometimes that'll go on for an hour or two. You don't even need to be paying attention to them for it to count. Using my workplace as another example, I'll often hold birds while talking to customers. The bird may be in my hand, but I am effectively ignoring it in favor of the customers - however, it does not know that. I will often subconsciously pet it or even gesture with it during this time, so it's being pretty actively handled the entire time. All of this - all physical contact - works to desensitize it to being held.

Hello and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I am sorry about your Silkie's, that seems strange though. My Silkie's are from a hatchery, and my former White Silkie (from a hatchery) was one of the most calm chickens I ever had. And my living Silkie is very friendly. I would check this out: http://olychickenguy.blogspot.com/2011/03/006-how-to-deal-with-skittish-chickens.html
I hope you find BYC helpful and enjoy it here, best wishes!

Thank you all so much. I can'twait to try these techniques. The article is quite helpful.

G’Day from down under Adnan10
frow.gif
Welcome!

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom