Silkie Hen's Nest (pic & ?)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by MuskokaChick, Jun 4, 2011.

1. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    My Silkie Hen is laying eggs (no clue how old she is)

The Rooster has a ERRR A ERRRR A ERRRRRRRR kind of crow (does this mean he is young?) his last errrr he runs out of steams...kind of funny sounding actually.

Here is a pic of her nest she made, right next to the water container.

She sits on the nest, but not always...she turns her eggs. If she is sitting on the nest and I reach near her to get the water dish, she pecks hard at me.

So...I have never done this before...does this mean she is broody...I know silkies tend to. My two daughters are excited thinking they are going to get chicks...but I don't know...I don't know what to tell them. Other than...wait and see. How long should I wait...and what point to I know the eggs are not fertile and should toss?

[​IMG]

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    It takes an average of 21 days to hatch. Sometimes up to 25 days.

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    After a week you can candle them and see if they are developing. Do a search for candling in the incubating and hatching section, lots of info there.

4. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    So it's ok if she is not sitting on them all the time?

21 Days from the 1 egg she laid, or 21 days from the last time she lays an egg?

I got her on May 28th, She laid an egg on May 30, 31, June 2, 3,4 (5 eggs)

I will try a homemade candling thingy next week and see what's going on. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by