silkie hens not laying and won’t accept new rooster

goatsandpeacocks

In the Brooder
Dec 4, 2022
I have two issues,
my 2 year old hens haven’t laid for a few months now and so I thought it may be the rooster was faulty so I sold him and got a new rooster. it seems that they still won’t lay eggs and the rooster is scared of the blue (?) hen because she keeps picking on him. I got a new feed yesterday to see if it is a nutrient problem, the rooster is a chocolate too, so I really wish they would accept him 😔 he’s just not attractive enough it seems

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    827.1 KB · Views: 14
  • BC6707AE-1BA7-467C-BC8C-B551E5B8E865.jpeg
    BC6707AE-1BA7-467C-BC8C-B551E5B8E865.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 6
Roosters don't make hens lay eggs, a hen will lay eggs without ever seeing a rooster. It's not a mate= eggs thing, it's ovulation.
Your chickens likely stopped to molt, and 2 year old birds don't lay in winters shorter daylight hours.
They'll lay in a few weeks as the days get longer. Can't comment on the new rooster. Unless you want to hatch chicks, there's no point in keeping him around. They might never accept him. How did you introduce him?

Roosters don't make hens lay eggs, a hen will lay eggs without ever seeing a rooster. It's not a mate= eggs thing, it's ovulation.
Your chickens likely stopped to molt, and 2 year old birds don't lay in winters shorter daylight hours.
They'll lay in a few weeks as the days get longer. Can't comment on the new rooster. Unless you want to hatch chicks, there's no point in keeping him around. They might never accept him. How did you introduce him?
I put him in a cage to let them get used to him for a few days. I just today let him out because they seemed to like him (they slept next to him even) I want some chicks so i kept him and sold all my other roosters. My frizzle silkies are still laying eggs but those three are being weird.

I put him in a cage to let them get used to him for a few days. I just today let him out because they seemed to like him (they slept next to him even) I want some chicks so i kept him and sold all my other roosters. My frizzle silkies are still laying eggs but those three are being weird.
Some birds will lay through the winter but most don't.

For future note, typically, you quarantine new birds for at least 3 weeks to make sure they're healthy, they can appear healthy when you get them but the stress of new environments and moving can cause flare ups. Then, you have him where the girls can see him for about 2 weeks, then introduction
It might take a few weeks for then to accept him.

Some birds will lay through the winter but most don't.

For future note, typically, you quarantine new birds for at least 3 weeks to make sure they're healthy, they can appear healthy when you get them but the stress of new environments and moving can cause flare ups. Then, you have him where the girls can see him for about 2 weeks, then introduction
It might take a few weeks for then to accept him.
i hatched him with these hens just when he got older I had him in the backyard not the front yard since they already had a rooster. he’s a sweet little boy so i didn’t wanna get rid of him

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom