Silkie Hens or Roos? PIC HEAVY

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kingdr85, Jul 21, 2010.

1. kingdr85

kingdr85 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Madison-Columbus WI
    These are my 3 silkies!

As you can see there is one that does not have a tail at all (I think she is a "she" and she is at the bottom of the peck order)
    They come from a show-quality breeder (i wont be showing them). They are about 3 months old and we are pretty sure we have one boy (hopefully just one).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Possible Hen #1 (the one that has a tail)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Possible Hen #2 (the one without a tail)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

THE BOY (FOR SURE HE IS....99.99% sure he is a boy). His neck feathers are differnt than the other two, he has those differnt feathers on his tail, the size of his head and face is bigger (and he is a little over a week younger than the other two), he is the BOSS, calls them over when he finds good stuff eat, likes to do the bump chest thing, huge bump on his comb....i know he is a boy, just waiting for the crow! (he will probably have to guy when he start crowing)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. Jx2inNC

Jx2inNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Caraway, NC
    Just a beginnger, so i'm the last person to guess at the sex of your silkies!!... but mine are 12+ weeks old, and my two white ones both have large redish waddles (sp?) hanging from their necks.. don't know if this means yours aren't boys. Someone more experienced should be able to tell you. My gray one however looks more like your silkies and has no waddles so i'm assuming it is a girl.

Nice looking silkies!!![​IMG]

3. glenolam

glenolam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Canterbury, CT
    Our white silkie roosters all developed bright red comb above his beak and none of the females had it. I think your guesses are in the right direction!

4. kingdr85

kingdr85 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Madison-Columbus WI
    Thank you!

The "roo" splash silkie also has the wattles coming in (not bright red but kinda of red) the other 2 do not.

5. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    I have three that hatched together... the two partridge silkies are males but did not develop at the same time... one of them only started to develop his comb about a month ago, the other guy has had them three months!! They all developed differently!

Cute though.

6. australorpchick

australorpchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Canyon Lake, TX
    It's really hard to tell with silkies, especially if they're nice quality birds. I have a 7 month old cuckoo silkie I hatched from sassysilkie's eggs that I originally hoped was a pullet, then when it tried to crow, figured it was a cockerel and then yesterday found out she's the one that's been hiding her eggs!

7. the4brandons

the4brandons Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2009
    Florida
    I am no expert either- but I have 3 silkies, 2 male and 1 female. One of my males is a bearded white silkie- smaller waddles and a nice red walnut- the other male is a black non bearded and has huge red wattles and a matching red comb. The female is also black non bearded and has smaller red wattles. To me it looks like yuor splash is probably a boy and the black one I am unsure... Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by