silkie hens quail eggs?

I was wondering the same thing ...
smile.png

So you think the hen would smash them all? If I took the quail away as soon as they hatch, would that still spread stuff?

Ever See A Chick Hatch? They Come Out Wet And Stay Under Momma Until Dry--- There's Your Spread Right There...

Chickens, Domestic Waterfowl, Guineas, And Turkeys All Carry Diseases That They Have Natural Immunity To And Never Show Any Signs Of Illness From It--- Kind Of Like We Do With Chicken Pox Or Other Illnesses, Look At What The Spanish Conquistadors Did To The South American Inca/ Mayan Populations With Small Pox When They Settled South America And You'll Get An Idea. Gamebirds, Like The Inca/ Mayan Populations, Do Not Have This Natural Immunity To These Malladies, Nor Are Their Immune Systems Geared Toward Dealing With These Illnesses. So They Get Exposed And Readily Come Down With It. Most Are Almost Impossible To Cure And If The Suffering Animal Does Get Cured It Is Now A Carrier And Cannot Be With Others Of Its Kind Or It Will Infect Them... Turns Into A Whole Vicious Cycle. Also The Cure Is Difficult To Obtain And Very Costly. Most Gamebirds Wont Respond To The Cheap Easy To Get Antibiotics Found In Many Feed Stores, They Will Require Baytril(vet Only) And Another Antibiotic Used Concurrently. The Other Antibiotic Is Usually 1 Not Found In Feed Stores, Tho You Can Readily Obtain It By Mail Order Or Internet Sales Thats Not Gonna Help When Jr Is Sick Here And Now...

There Are And Will Continue To Be Nay Sayers (1 Should Come Along Anytime Now...
smile.png
) But From The Biologic Stand Point This Is What Happens. Now Size, Thats Different And I Suppose Depends Greatly On The Surrogate Hen.

From A Animal Husbandry Stand Point, And A Functional And Economic Stand Points Most Readily Agree Its Not Worth It. Let The Silkie Sit Chicken Eggs And Incubate The Quail Eggs Yourself, Its A Lot Easier Than The Alternative Can Be.

Naysayer
frow.gif

I don't believe that the quail would have time to catch something in the first hour after birth & spread it to the hen-think incubation periods of viruses even if they miraculously caught something the second they hatched. I would think that you will be just fine. If you have Newcastles, you are probably screwed anyway, whatever strain it is. Size is a different story. Unless you have a tiny silkie like I do, an OEG would probably be a better size fit. Give it a try with the silkie anyway.

Back
Top Bottom