1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

SILKIE HENS STOPPED LAYING

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tootsiechicken, Jun 5, 2016.

1. tootsiechicken

tootsiechicken In the Brooder

Jul 10, 2015
    I have 6 silkies; 1 rooster and 5 hens. All are young and should be laying well. They are all on a very nutritious diet and receive all the things needed in their food.

They were just laying plenty. Maybe one egg a day... And then they stopped. I know that silkies don't lay much, but it's been about a month since they last laid any eggs. This isn't the first time that this happened either. It's happened at least once or twice before; They'll be laying fantastically, and then just... Stop. They're also acting like they're sitting on eggs. I want to say they're broody, but they don't immediately go running back to their nesting boxes of you bring them outside. They peck around a bit, and then go back inside. I don't know if they're molting or just plain broody, but I'm getting really frustrated with this no-laying business. :( Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They are probably broody. That's a part of owning silkies, they will lay a clutch worth of eggs than they will go broody, than repeat a few times a year. Not much can be done. It's probably best to pick a different breed next time. Many egg laying breeds never go broody.

1 person likes this.
  3. tootsiechicken

tootsiechicken In the Brooder

Jul 10, 2015

Oh, I love my silkies! :) I love their personalities, so I'm actually glad I chose this breed. And I've read up on how to break a broody hen, so I hope this solves the problem. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by