SILKIE HENS WANTED

HWeatherby

Hatching
Feb 26, 2017
I am looking for 3-4 Silkie Hens. Would like one of them to be white for my daughter. They have to be hens due to ordinance so must be sexed. I would hate for us to get attached, have roo's and have to get rid of. I live near Marietta, GA and am willing to drive a couple of hours to pick up. Thanks Heather Weatherby

welcome-byc.gif

If you haven't already done so, check the Buy-Sell-Trade forum. Things come and go from there often.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/67/buy-sell-trade

From what I've read, Silkies can be very difficult to sex so you might want to have a back up plan in place in case you get a male.

Good luck!

Silkies are extremely difficult to sex before 4-5 mos. of age and sometimes NOT until they crow or lay. If you could find pullets at point of lay, you could be sure of their gender.

Your best chance I feel is from a breeder. They often keep young birds for a few months determining which they want to keep for show/breeding. Any that don't make the final cut, would be sold at an age when gender is apparent to them.

You could check out the "Silkie thread," to see if anyone is near you. Also do the same with your state thread. For either or both, just put into the search box and they will pop up.

G’Day from down under Heather
frow.gif
Welcome!

As you have already received some good advice and links, I will just wish you the best of luck with your search.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom