Silkie Hens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Joelolly, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Joelolly

Joelolly Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2009
    Seminary, MS
    I was wondering if having some silkie hens just as good as having an incubator? I'm in mississippi if that is useful.

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Any hen that is willing to sit (especially Silkies), IMO, is a lot better than any incubator.

3. Joelolly

Joelolly Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2009
    Seminary, MS
    Something else that just popped in my head. Do silkies remain broody after they reach the age they stop laying?

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    It's possible. They can still set even after they've stopped laying.

5. Jarhead

Jarhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Arkansas
    Cochin hens work very well too. Mine go broody just as much as the silkies, and they can cover way more eggs. So if you are looking for the most bang for the buck so to speak that would be a better option that the silkies IMO if you are just using them to incubate eggs. For example I had a cochin hen sit on 18 muscovy eggs, 16 of which hatched, plus she was a wonderful mother to them. [​IMG]

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The problem with relying on any hen is that they go broody on their own schedule, not necessarily on yours.

7. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    A big advantage of a broody is that after they're hatched she can teach them chicken stuff, and keep them just the right temperature.

I have pics of week old chicks in the snow in February. The hen knew exactly how long they could be out, then collected them to warm them up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by