Silkie hit his head-Hard

brendapa

Songster
9 Years
Feb 2, 2010
Chester County, PA
I was just locking them up in the coop at 8:30 and there are always some minor scuffles until they settle in. My "nice" splash cockerel went after 3 pullets, just to bite them. As he was hanging onto her tail the younger, fiesty cockerel went after his tail. The splash flew upward and hit his head, hard, on the ramp. I heard it.
He flopped around unable to lift his head off the ground, doing the dying chicken flap. I thought he broke his neck. He flopped around some more and was able to get into a sitting position. He is moving his head around, dazed. Maybe he just knocked himself silly and is stunned. His breathing is returning to normal, not frantic panting, but he's just sitting there, whimpering.
I can just see that little silkie brain swelling up. He has a very vaulted skull.
So, what should I do?
I'd like to put a little ice pack on his silly little silkies brain but know that is impossible.
My 1st instinct is to wait it out and see how he is in the AM.

But...should I bring him in to watch him?
Baby asprin?
V & E?
ice his little bird brain?

Jeez!

I just went out to check on him again. The little black and white pullets are trying to snuggle up next to him, to sleep. He's acting stunned, and has not moved from the spot.
He is moving his head around and is tucking it around, under his wing. It's either to sleep or to die.
Since he's not getting up to shake it off I think he may have really hurt himself.
Time to separate the boys from the girls. These are the 19 week olds.

Brenda

So sorry about this strange accident, I would definitely apply an icepack (or bag of peas) to reduce swelling, even if swelling is not obvious. It can't hurt, you just use your judgment on time; a few minutes at a time. I would also give him an aspirin (what strength would you give a chicken, maybe a half of an 81 mg??), but I wouldn't just let it ride, I think with an impact like that, if you want him to make it, a couple of steps might help him out, and the pain reliever would help him either way, whether he makes it or not. Hide it in a piece of cheese :)
Good luck!!
Shelagh M.

I think they all have pretty thick skulls!

I am currently on arm crutches due to an injury and dropped an arm crutch whilst looking at my broody Brahma....straight onto her head......clunk. She didn't even squawk, just shook her head, ate a bit of grain, and went back to peacefully brooding.

Sandie

Just curious how he came out of it? How long till he was normal? & what extra did you do for him? the same thing happened to my peahen last night and she is still acting drunk. She flew up instead of over and hit the ceiling hard, flopping on the ground trying to die on me so I held her so she couldn't further injure herself but I'm thinking she won't stand for an ice pack on the head.

Back
Top Bottom