Silkie honks like a goose?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickiedoo, Nov 30, 2010.

1. chickiedoo

chickiedoo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2010
    I am very new to chickens, have had mine about 4 months now. I only have 3, but my Black Sexlink and my Rhode Island Red have high pitched cute little birdie cheeps like I would expect, however, I have a 4-5 month old black Silkie that sounds like a goose. I was just curious if this is common or if it might signify a cold or something like that. Please please please dont tell me it means she is a he lol. I love my Chickiedoo and was just curious if this is maybe something common to silkies.

2. The Fairy Godmartyr

The Fairy Godmartyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    I honestly never hear much of anything out of my silkie pullet. I wouldn't say that my roo sounds like a goose, but he definitely has a, um, UNIQUE crow. He almost sounds like he has laryngitis--it is the most pathetic/hilarious thing you have ever heard. [​IMG]

Is the silkie making the honks in the same way as the others are peeping? Or is it more of a stretch-out-the-neck-and-let-loose kind of a thing? If it is the latter, I'd say you may have a rooster on your hands. (Incidentally, I said that I wouldn't have any roosters because I didn't want to annoy my neighbors, but my silkie can't even be heard from inside MY house most of the time, and the coop is right behind my attached garage. My neighbors hear the rooster 1/4 mile away more than they do mine, so he gets to stay.)

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

My silkies do a lot of whistling. But the roos definitely crow.

They don't "hhooooonnnnn" like a goose though.

4. The Fairy Godmartyr

The Fairy Godmartyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    One more thing--if you want to see some pictures of my black silkies to see the differences with the boys and girl, I have some pictures of them on my website. One of the pictures has a boy and girl together and you can see the differences in the comb and wattles. It is in this post: http://fairygodmartyr.com/index.php/homeschooling/51-homeschool2010/130-chickens-passed-and-present. My server seems to be running slow today, so don't be surprised if it takes a bit to come up. My silkies are about five months old.

5. loundrew

loundrew Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    My silkie pullet hardly makes any noise. The Roo on the other hand is quite vocal, and very theatrical when he crows. He stretches out and gives it his best every time. I love going out at at 6:00 AM and opening the pop hole. He is normally in the coop crowing and another rooster somewhere down the road is answering back. I would not call it honking/gooselike at all though.

6. chickiedoo

Sep 28, 2010
    I havent actually seen her (maybe him) honk. I have been bringing them in at night since we have been doign finishing touches on their coop so its sleep worthy for the chickens. So I bring them in and put them in an extra room where they generally just sleep in a large box. Every morning they wake up at daylight and start peeping/honking ready to go outside. So yes the silkie does it at the same time as the peeping and in quick succession like the others not like a long drawn out honk like when you hear a roo crow. I will admit that my silkie doesnt seem to be the brightest chicken of the bunch and maybe she just doesnt get how to cheep properly lol.

7. chickiedoo

Sep 28, 2010
    Quote:Well, my silkie definitely looks like your girl. No comb or anything so thats a good sign!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by