silkie housing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mom'sfolly, Jan 10, 2008.

1. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I just hatched some babies, which included 4 silkies. Looking forward to warmer weather and outdoor housing, what do I need to to for my silkies that is different from my standard chickens? Do they roost? If so, high. If they sleep in the nest boxes, how to I keep them in sleeping nests and keep them from mucking up the laying nests. My current coop is aout 4x4, and is only used for sleeping. I'm in a mild climate so they are not indoors for long period. I have about 8 feet of roost space. Currently I have 4 standard sized chickens, and 9 chicks, 5 standard and 4 silkies. How much additional housing do y'all think I need? I just scored a free "deer stand cabin" from Academy. Someone kicked the back off, so the were willing to let me have it. Needs some work...but FREE.

Thanks

2. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    Most chickens need about 4 square feet of space in a coop, you can get away with less if they free range during the day or if you have bantams. Silkies will roost and use the nest boxes, my boxes and roost are about 2 feet off the ground and my silkies are fine with it.

3. 2dream

2dream Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    Jackson MS
    mom'sfolly :

what do I need to to for my silkies that is different from my standard chickens?

It has been years since I had silkies but they are on my list for this spring. I always kept my silkies seperate from my standards. I could not tell for sure from your post if you were planning on seperating them or not. I always had problems with the standards picking on the silkies.​

4. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Just to add something, some of the chicks will be boys, they will not be staying. So the total will probably be around 9 chickens, 2 or three which might be silkies.

5. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    A lot of people have their Silkirs mixed in with their stabdard poultry with no problems and others have problems from the get go.
    How ever it sounds like you coop is full enough, I would seriously consider doing something else, Silkies are calm birds that like to pile up in a corner and cuddle.

I had 4 Silkies in a small 3X4 pen with a 3X4 run attached to it and they made out fine and were very happy, something that size would be easy to build and relativly cheap.

Please check out my coops pens and cages for ideas.

CLICK LINK

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=7724703&uid=3314574

6. meloncholy88

meloncholy88 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    This is true- silkies like to sleep in a big ole pile. Mine sleep on top of a nesting box, inside the coop. Some sleep inside the nester, 2-3 at a time. They do seem to get picked on, but mix well with other fancy feather footed birds, like Cochins, which prefer to be in pairs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by