Silkie in the rain

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Snozzle, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Snozzle

Snozzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    I am somewhat new to chickens and I was wondering about my little silkie rooster. It has been raining all day and he has been inside his coop all day, but as soon as it got dark and the temperature dropped he hopped up on the lower part of the coop roof and within minutes he was soaked and looked like a drowned rat and was shivering. This is the 3rd time he has done that and I have been putting him inside the coop and closing the door in the evenings. It's a large 2 room coop originally designed for 8 large muscovy ducks and it is only him and one hen that live there right now, it's raised off the floor, has an inside perch, nestboxes and plenty of fresh hay inside, why would he want to stand out in the rain at night? Is this normal rooster behavior to watch for danger or is this just something my quirky little Rupert does?

2. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    Maby he was trying to roost higher up. [​IMG] Sorry not much help on my part [​IMG]

3. Snozzle

Snozzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    I give them raisins and mealworms in the mornings, maybe he wanted to make sure he beat Emily to the treats tomorrow. Usually she eats them all before he can get one, poor guy lol

4. <3 N.C Chicken Chick <3

<3 N.C Chicken Chick <3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Jacksonville N.C
    LOL That would make sense. My hen brownie has gotten fat from being the only unbroody hen with 2 roos, they bring her stuff all the time. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by