Silkie info needed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mcf3kids, Aug 14, 2011.

1. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    I acquired a pair of silkies that I have incorporated into my flock of hens. It took a week or so but they all seem to be getting along fine. My question is that one appears to be a rooster and has started to try to crow - do silkies eventually crow as loud as full sized roosters? and someone told me that they do not "fly" so can they roost? I have conventional height roost bars and nesting boxes do I need to make accommodations to my coop for the silkies? THank you for your help! [​IMG]

2. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    silkies from my experience, do not crow as loud as LF do (they are smaller after all) and are generally quieter but that could just be my birds. they do roost some but most of mine, sleep in a pile rather then roost. if you set up some low bars and boxes on the floor, you should be fine.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    My silkie roos had not crowed as loud or as often as regular birds. Mine roost but it's on a 4x4 laid on the floor in the coop. It keeps their butt out of their poop!

4. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Thank you Hoppy - what height would you recommend for a roost bar? There is a buff orpington that sleeps with these two which I think is really cute! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by