Silkie Injured Wing

khdevine

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2016

Three days ago my daughter noticed some blood on our silkies wing. I quickly rinsed it off and sent her back on her way (rookie chicken owner mistake!). The next day the area looked much worse and I bought her in for a better cleaning and further inspection. I'm certain the bone has come through the skin. Under where the bone has come through, there's a big knot. I assume it's infection. I wash the area once a day, put peroxide on it, let that dry and add triple antibiotic cream and wrap up the wing so she can't peck at it. I change the bandage twice a day. Is there anything else you can recommend I do? Or do you think she's suffering and should be put down? I haven't squeezed on the knot because I'm afraid my stomach may not be able to handle what comes out... She's eating and drinking normal so I've brought her inside to keep her away from the flock. She's our only silkie and we love her to pieces!

My husband tried to put pressure on the knot and he insists its muscle/meat. We also did the Epsom salt bath tonight. Just not sure how it's ever going to heal with the bone poking through the skin...

She is still as perky as ever. I wrapped up the wing again this morning and let her outside to roam with her sisters. None of the other chickens bothered her but I noticed her messing with the area (what she could get to anyways). The skin seems to be receeding and more bone is exposed. Husband says we aren't taking her to the vet and just want me to let nature take its course.
1f611.png
Any other secret home remedies I should be trying?

Just wanted to update the link incase this happens to anyone else.
We continued to bandage and treat the exposed bone for two weeks but it was clear there wasn't enough skin to grow over such a big opening.
I called two local vets to get an estimate for wing removal. The first place, a well known vet in the city, estimated it would cost $1100. The second place, out in the county, told me they'd do it for $60!!! Can you even believe the price difference?!?!
5 days ago the wing was removed. We just took the bandage off yesterday and they did a great job closing her back up. No open spots! Hooray! She's left with a little nub, and I hope she's able to grow feathers back on it!

Back
Top Bottom