Silkie is sick need some advice please

Silkie_lady_

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2018
Hey there I'm new to this site. I just signed up because I'm concerned and confused about my silkie hen. Ok so last week she started not eating or drinking much and loosing balance. I took her to the vet Saturday and did some blood work and a fecal test they didn't find anything. Sunday they wanted me to start her and my other hen on a dewormer. Monday she lost almost all use in her left side not really able to stand for very long and maybe able to take a few steps. As of yesterday she can no longer walk stand or even lay down without falling over. I have her propped up with a blanket in a box. I've been giving her water with a syringe and she's eaten very little up until today, I got her to eat her regular feed and she actually drank out of the water dish. I had to hold both dishes for her. She also cleaned herself a little today, pretty perky today too. Need advice on what it might be and what I should do next.

I had this happen in a quail hen and it turned out she was calcium deficient.i know this is a chicken you are talking about but the symptoms are the same for what my quail hen suffered from. Electrolyte water would help her if she's weak. I always give mine" save a chick" in the water when they are feeling sick. It has always helped mine stay okay long enough until I can fix what's wrong. Hope your girl gets better I have 2 silkie hens myself and I'd hate if they were ever sick. Good luck!

I had this happen in a quail hen and it turned out she was calcium deficient.i know this is a chicken you are talking about but the symptoms are the same for what my quail hen suffered from. Electrolyte water would help her if she's weak. I always give mine" save a chick" in the water when they are feeling sick. It has always helped mine stay okay long enough until I can fix what's wrong. Hope your girl gets better I have 2 silkie hens myself and I'd hate if they were ever sick. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! Just wondering how many hens you had at that time? I have two silkies and my other one is ok. Do you know where I would get calcium supplement?

Welcome to BYC. My guess is that she may have Mareks disease, but I would keep her on vitamins and make sure that she can reach food and water. Chickens slings (which you can Google for pictures,) are sometimes helpful with a lame chicken, to get them upright in front of food, water, and not keep them cleaner.

Mareks symptoms may vary in all birds, but it sometimes presents with loss of balance, paralysis in one or both legs or wings, sometimes a twisted neck, and sometimes changes in the eye. Google Mareks disease and you will find many sources to read about it.

Calcium is found in Tums, human calcium tablets, liquid calcium from feed stores, and in ground egg shell. Crushed oyster shell is what most people set out in a separate container for hens to peck at as they need.

Welcome to BYC. My guess is that she may have Mareks disease, but I would keep her on vitamins and make sure that she can reach food and water. Chickens slings (which you can Google for pictures,) are sometimes helpful with a lame chicken, to get them upright in front of food, water, and not keep them cleaner.

Mareks symptoms may vary in all birds, but it sometimes presents with loss of balance, paralysis in one or both legs or wings, sometimes a twisted neck, and sometimes changes in the eye. Google Mareks disease and you will find many sources to read about it.

Calcium is found in Tums, human calcium tablets, liquid calcium from feed stores, and in ground egg shell. Crushed oyster shell is what most people set out in a separate container for hens to peck at as they need.

Thank you for the welcome!
I did read up alot on Merks I'm guessing that' what she has too but then I saw other things that have the same kind of symptoms. I will try with the vitamins and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice! Just wondering how many hens you had at that time? I have two silkies and my other one is ok. Do you know where I would get calcium supplement?
At the time I had just one hen. I was new to raising and was unaware of the hens calcium needs. I now give my quail hens and chickens oyster shells. I find those at tractor supply as well as many feed and seed supply stores. When I originally read your post Marek's did come to my mind but I was thinking that would of been something the vet would of suggested or ruled out. I would definitely look into it and I hope your hen recovers well!

At the time I had just one hen. I was new to raising and was unaware of the hens calcium needs. I now give my quail hens and chickens oyster shells. I find those at tractor supply as well as many feed and seed supply stores. When I originally read your post Marek's did come to my mind but I was thinking that would of been something the vet would of suggested or ruled out. I would definitely look into it and I hope your hen recovers well!

Ya I'm new to this too, these are my first two hens. The vet did mention Merks but wasn' 100%. She' actually able to keep herself laying down today she only fell over once so far. So a little apporvement since yesterday. Thanks for your help.

Hey there I'm new to this site. I just signed up because I'm concerned and confused about my silkie hen. Ok so last week she started not eating or drinking much and loosing balance. I took her to the vet Saturday and did some blood work and a fecal test they didn't find anything. Sunday they wanted me to start her and my other hen on a dewormer. Monday she lost almost all use in her left side not really able to stand for very long and maybe able to take a few steps. As of yesterday she can no longer walk stand or even lay down without falling over. I have her propped up with a blanket in a box. I've been giving her water with a syringe and she's eaten very little up until today, I got her to eat her regular feed and she actually drank out of the water dish. I had to hold both dishes for her. She also cleaned herself a little today, pretty perky today too. Need advice on what it might be and what I should do next.

Back
Top Bottom