Silkie - Is this a new color, DQ, or...?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by country, Jun 3, 2012.

1. country

country Songster

Sep 14, 2008
    Lincoln, CA
    I have a pullet about 6 months old that I hatched from my own line. She is (I think) a really nice Silkie, but her color is something I have never seen before. Her undercoat is white feathers tipped with black at the ends. She is really quite striking (IMHO) & everyone that sees her asks about her & they want to place an order for some just like her. Oh swell, but I don't know how I got her in the first place so I doubt if I get any more like her unless I learn how to clone! I'm posting pictures below & I would like opinions on the following.
    1. Is this color is okay according to the standard - I am guessing she would be considered a dark blue, so is the light undercoat allowed?
    2. If not, is it a few points off or a complete DQ?
    3. If it's a DQ, then can I start a new color project & enter her as that color?
    4. If so, what the heck do I call the color? Black Frost? lol
    5. Is there a chance she might lose all the white fluff when she molts?

I would really appreciate any & all input & opinions. Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    The feathers are actually white at the base with black tips.
    [​IMG]
    Certain areas almost make her look like a reverse paint - whatever that is!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Okay, so what do you all think?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  2. 4hchickmama

4hchickmama Songster

May 12, 2012
    I don't have an answer, but I saw this bird in person and she is gorgeous. Caught my eye in her pen right away. I'm very interested to hear what people say about her color.

3. Disco Hen

Disco Hen Songster

Jan 7, 2012
    Sonoma CA
    She looks like a slash to me

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Crowing

Jan 14, 2008

She does resemble the Guns n Roses guitarist, doesn't she

1 person likes this.
  5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Free Ranging

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    :lol:

6. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    in cats, this color would be called smoke, whtie base, black tips. i'd show her as AVO. then you can really get some opinions on her from judges and maybe those that know genetics.

7. SarniaTricia

SarniaTricia Songster

Stupid question .... what is AVO?

Beautiful bird.... definately something to reproduce if you can!

8. StevenW.

StevenW. Crowing

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I'm pretty sure its AOV not AVO.
    I think AOV stands for "All other Varietys."

I think she looks like a Black Mottled! There's someone on here working on Mottled Silkies!

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Mottled has white tips with otherwise balck feathering. The opposite of this bird. Yes, AOV is All Other Varieties. However, it also needs a variety name to be listed with it. IMO, the bird is either a black or a very dark blue. Looks to be black. I know I have read something about the cause of whiter base to the feathers. I will see if I can find it, and then comment further.

BTW, if by "slash," you meant "splash," that is the other bird in the photo with two.

10. country

country Songster

Sep 14, 2008
    Lincoln, CA

Okay, I'll admit that one went right over my head. I thought "slash" was a typo & Disco Hen looked at the wrong picture or else she was suggesting "slash" as a color name. Obviously I'm not a Guns n Roses fan so I guess I'll have to google them & see what you're talking about. Hmm. Slash might be a good name for her though. Thank you both for the input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: