Silkie--is this a rooster?!

SilkieLover01

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 18, 2014
So..I got these two at a swap meet this morning. I thought they were both girls. I paid extra for two girls. The seller though they were both girls...
I get home, open the box, and maybe I'm losing my touch, or I'm paranoid...but does that look like a cockerel or a pullet? Can pullets HAVE that sprig off the back of the crest? HELP. I feel so stupid and now I only have two chickens and no resource to get another nice pullet.

I think that's probably a cockerel, mainly given the red coloring on the wings. Can you get a profile shot of the bird? It's hard to tell if those are streamers from the angle of the pictures.

I think you're right. And that was my first tip off when I pulled him out of the box at home--ONE streamer. I was like....Oh...Great.
I'm p.o. I drove all the way back to the swap to try to exchange him and the ONLY vendor to be gone? Silkie man. I paid extra for a pullet. I also feel pretty dumb.
hu.gif
After all my years in 4-H...I knew better. Apparently months without chickens has made me soft in my old age.
rant.gif

Last edited:
I'm leaning towards it being a cockerel. However, it is hard to tell gender with most Silkies until they either crow or lay.

A photo from the side would help. The crest, at least to me, looks fairly feminine, as does the comb. However, the red on the wings makes me think cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom