Silkie / Japanese Bantam Crosses

vfem

Yoga...The Chicken Pose
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Fuquay Varina, NC
I did a little research and saw some sites talk about them being bred in Europe and England with growing popularity. However, they mentioned they were not known of in the United States yet. Does anyone breed these crosses? Anyone have any pictures?

I've been raising silkies for a couple of years, and I am thinking of cross breeding them with my japanese bantams I have started. I was wondering what to expect, and what is expected of the offspring... and what to look for while breeding them?

So if you have some or are interested or know anything... please share!

I guess I should add, I am really just trying to introduce the silkie feathering into the line.

Last edited:
If I was you, I wouldn't introduce it from a silkie. There are silkie seramas and cochins and introducing them that way would be better.

Yeah there are Silkied Seramas (Look at avatar
wink.png
) That would be a lot easier!
big_smile.png

Well, we'll find out... our black Silkie roo mixed with our yellow black tipped Japanese bantam... feathered feet, markings like dad, but no silkie feathers.
46293_10200283115100501_847170946_n.jpg

Well, we'll find out... our black Silkie roo mixed with our yellow black tipped Japanese bantam... feathered feet, markings like dad, but no silkie feathers.
46293_10200283115100501_847170946_n.jpg

I believe the black tailed japanese have yellow legs right? if they do, then yo have produce sex links...

Females will have Black skin and males will have yellow skin. check to see if you are segregating this type of chicks and report back to us.

thanks
Marvin

I sure hope so! We'd love to keep the three we have (and neighbors are kind enough to allow our one Silkie Roo... he's pretty quiet though.

Very cool! I have Silkies and Japs in the same coop and sure enough, my blue silkie roo has successfully bred with one of my little jap hens! I've got a couple eggs in the incubator and hope they hatch! I'd love to see what they turn out to look like
big_smile.png

Did you have your eggs in an incubator or under a broody hen?

Very cool! I have Silkies and Japs in the same coop and sure enough, my blue silkie roo has successfully bred with one of my little jap hens! I've got a couple eggs in the incubator and hope they hatch! I'd love to see what they turn out to look like
big_smile.png

Did you have your eggs in an incubator or under a broody hen?
Just following up from my recent post :)

One of the tiny eggs hatched this morning and my goodness is it a precious little chick! Black winged white japanese bantam mom and a blue silkie roo dad..

The chick has yellow feet but six toes and feathers on each foot.. it also appears to be bearded with black skin.. it has a tiny single comb and is absolutely adorable; very energetic as well!

I can't wait to see what it looks like when it's older :D

Back
Top Bottom