silkie just vanished

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by storminstaffs, Aug 3, 2010.

1. storminstaffs

storminstaffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    I bought these 2 yesterday and this morning i went over and can't find my little white one anywhere, the black cross was hiding inside one of the hen laying sheds

[​IMG]

There's no evidence of it anywhere, i've looked under all the sheds, near the veggie patch (we've got some large veggies and weeds growing in the back corner), there's one shed i havent looked under and thats because there's nettles around it, will get my parents to help me tonight with the search.

But is it possible for a crow or magpie to pick it up and fly away with it? Or for a rat to kill it and not make a mess?

There's no sign of feathers being pulled out or anything. I've bought the other one back home with me till i find out what's happened to it.

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

sounds like they free range- she could have been picked off by a hawk. A good size hawk can easily take a silkie off. [​IMG]

Really hope she's just hiding well, good luck on the search.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  3. cfdf

cfdf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    Maybe she is just hiding someplace. The other night I went outside to close up the coop and did a head count...1..2..3..4...5..???????? Where are my other chickens? I went outside and looked in the run...nope....went back inside...counted again....nope....went back outside looked in the run again...nope....looked around outside the run to see if I could see any feathers...nope...back in the run nope.....fence check....no holes...back in the coop...nope...getting really scared now.....heard a noise....looked up....they were roosting in the rafters......that was a first for my chickens...so...moral of my story....don't forget to look up when you are looking for your chicken.

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    I had a good sized Australorp disappear without a trace in May. We do have lots of hawks around here, so it wouldn't surprise me if a hawk got her. Poor Agnes.
    It's possible that your Silkie is hiding, so don't give up hope yet.

5. storminstaffs

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    Thanks but my dad mentioned to find her hiding well under the green house [​IMG] im soo happy, fixed the hole she got through so it shouldn't happen again

6. paula and her chicks

paula and her chicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    Thousand Oaks Calif.
    :yiipchickOh am so happy for you! We get so attached don't we!

7. storminstaffs

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    yeap i only got them yesterday aswell

8. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Good news.

9. storminstaffs

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    Thanks [​IMG]

10. cfdf

cfdf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    [​IMG] I am so happy for you......I LOVE HAPPY ENDINGS....YIPPIE!!!!....DOING THE CHICKEN DANCE [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by