silkie lavender or splash

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ILOVEFRIZZLES, Oct 1, 2009.

1. ILOVEFRIZZLES

ILOVEFRIZZLES Red Roof Hens

Feb 2, 2009
    Hamilton Ga
    I am thinking splash but hoping lavender

[​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    not exactly sure but Im more towards lav [​IMG] I love lav's!!!!

3. catwalk

catwalk Songster

May 19, 2009
    If somebody sold you a lavender chick, they'd surely let you know, and then charge you triple! Spread out the wing feathers; are they uniform in color? Here's my splash chick, for comparison:
    [​IMG]
    Yours looks a lot lighter that mine; could be lavender!

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I ended up with a lavender out of my bunch and it's super light. I will try to get pictures. I have to go to work soon so won't be today. I will send you some when I get them.

5. The coloring of each feather (including the shaft) should be absolutely uniform in a lavender. There should not be some feathers darker than others. Photos sometimes belie what you can only tell in person.

My avatar is a lavender cockerel at abou 4 1/2 months. His tail feathers APPEAR darker but they really aren't...it's just because there are a LOT of them in that area. The shaft of all of his feathers are uniform with no dark spots or a dark line down the shaft that is typical in blues and splashes.

6. cjexotic

cjexotic Cj's Mandarin Ducks

Mar 11, 2008
    Central PA
    Well from that shot it looks like a lavender.
    But that is right about spreading the wings out and see if the color is uniform. From here it does. You go girl.. And no I did not charge her triple. lol

edit: forgot to say.. boy is it cute.. hope it turns out to be a lavender for you. Many have gotten from my eggs.. maybe you did also.
    woohoo..

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  7. ILOVEFRIZZLES

ILOVEFRIZZLES Red Roof Hens

Feb 2, 2009
    Hamilton Ga
    pic with lavender orp silkies in middle

[​IMG]

wings

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by