1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

silkie laying eggs off of the roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ohtobedone, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Ohtobedone

Ohtobedone New Egg

Oct 18, 2014
    I have 5 reg. hens and one silkie. I've been getting 5 large eggs a day but finding yolk color under the roost where my silkie roosts. Do I need to do something different for a nesting box for her. The other hens all use the same box. New to this chicken game and could use some help!

2. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    How old is your silkie? and are your nest boxes up high? sometimes they will just 'go' until they get older and realise that they need to lay an egg, also if they are at the bottom of the pecking order / the smallest ( Silkies are docile and bullying is common) or the nest boxes are full then they will just squat and go.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sometimes young layers will lay off the roost bar and many times it is just a yolk. Until they get their egg laying machines in gear, this can go on a for a couple months. Try to clean it up first thing in the morning before they hop down to eat it as this can cause egg eating. Eating their eggs is a habit that is hard to break.

4. Ohtobedone

Ohtobedone New Egg

Oct 18, 2014
    Thanks for the information. My large hens all prefer the low nesting box. Go figure! My coop is 6x8 and is small. Going to get a bigger one in the spring so my silkies can have the small one all to themselves!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by