Silkie laying for first time a lot of questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BirdOfAFeather, Oct 23, 2013.

1. BirdOfAFeather

BirdOfAFeather New Egg

Jun 29, 2013
    Moro Illinois
    Two days ago I removed y rooster from pen because he was extremely aggressive with my hen.....today I find two eggs.....this is my first time an her first time....does he have to be in with her to fertilize her eggs.....if so how do I keep him for hurting her and how long should I do this before I remove him again.....or will all this stress her out and stop the laying help

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    A rooster doesn't have to be in with a hen for the eggs to be fertile, he just has to have mated successfully with her within the past 1-2 weeks. If you want the eggs to be fertile, I'd keep him in with her for a few hours to one day, and then remove him. As for the aggressivness, I'm not exactly sure how to deal with that. What exactly do you mean by "rough"? Does he rip the feathers off her back, tear them from her neck, harrass her continually, etc.?

Also, how old is your rooster? I've found that young roosters are often (really) rough on hens--I have a Wyandotte bantam cockerel that completely ripped up a hen's comb when he accidentally escaped into her pen. He's mellowed out as he got older, and, though the hen still holds a grudge against him, is no longer overly rough.

3. BirdOfAFeather

BirdOfAFeather New Egg

Jun 29, 2013
    Moro Illinois
    He was grabbing the back of neck really really hard but he also got her head bleeding and at that point I pulled him out....he is 6 months old I think....yeah I think I will only let them out in the yard a few hours a day for awhile.....he is very gentle and allows me and the kids hold him

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by