Silkie Laying Machine!

sgvpollo

In the Brooder
Aug 31, 2015
My little silkie just start laying last week Monday... then again Wednesday... then again Thursday... then again Friday... and again and again...

She's put out 6 eggs since last week Monday... 6 in 7 days! I thought they only laid about once every 3 days! I don't want to jinx it, but this doesn't seem normal! Has anyone else had such a prolific silkie?

If she keeps this up, she'll be a real egg contributor with the other two gals (when they decide to lay, that is).

Wow, go for it. Maybe you can start a line of Silkies that really lay eggs instead of being broody most of their life. Ifs she hatchery stock?

This one came from Amber Waves in Norco, California. They run a small batch of their chicks through DNA testing for sexing confirmation. The DNA verified pullets may seem expensive, but if we buy another silkie, I won't even have to think twice about it. I can't think of how devastated my daughter would be if she ended up with a crowing puffball that we had to give away.

I asked them if any of their other stock seemed this prolific, but they couldn't be sure because they've got so many hens laying at any given time that they've never really tried to track it.

I guess not many people are really thinking of silkies for eggs, so the lay rate isn't all that big of a deal. I plan on tracking her for a while just to have a good sense of her laying behavior, and we'll see how she hangs in over a few months.

Back
Top Bottom