Silkie laying on his side and breathng hard.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tsmith1499, Oct 24, 2011.

1. tsmith1499

tsmith1499 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    Mount Airy, MD.
    Not sure of his age as he was bought at an auction. I know, I know that's beside the point right now. We have a temporary run for our 5 Silkies as I am building the coop for our chickens. They were out yesterday in the run in the sun and 1 gray Silkies tends to lay on his anyway but I noticed that he was breathing heavy. DW came out and checked him and he was very warm. She put all of them back in their respective cages and they are fine. Was he just a little overheated or dhould I be looking for something else? Had plenty of water available but no shade. My fault, I am going to put a tarp on it for shade today. Hopfully coop and run will be done in the next 32 weeks and I won't have to worry about a temp. run anymore.

2. WhiteCochinLover

WhiteCochinLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    yes he might be over heated.... He could have been trying to give himself a dirt bath they look hurt and stuff but they are fine [​IMG]

3. tsmith1499

tsmith1499 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    Mount Airy, MD.
    Thanks, that's what we were thinking as none of them have ever shown any signs of anything before and he got right up and as soon as we put him in out of the sun he acted fine. He is kinds funny in that when this one roo lays down he always has one leg cocked out to the side when laying in the grass. Thanks again, Tom

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by