Silkie laying question.... advice please!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by huckleberryfarm, Jul 22, 2010.

1. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    I have 7 silkies that are laying age. One started laying about 8 weeks ago, laid a few eggs and then quit. She was hunkered down in the spot she laid her eggs like she was setting on them, but there's nothing there. I've seen a few of the other silkie hens huddled with her. I haven't found any eggs in about 3 weeks and am not sure if any of the others have ever laid. I've looked around the run for a stash of eggs with no success. My silkies are age 29-36 weeks old right now. Is this normal? Will they start laying or are they possibly delayed due to the heat? It's been incredibly hot here (in the 90's consistently and humid). I have three other hens that have continued laying though (different breeds).

I'm confused! Any thoughts?

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    She is probably broody. They love to hatch eggs. I would give her some eggs and see if she stays put.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    If she and your other silkies are in the nesting boxes alot, then they're probably broody. When they're broody, their mission is to hatch eggs, and they stop laying......if you have some fertile hatching eggs, thick 'em under her! They're great broodys and mothers.

4. Kyfila

Kyfila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    georgetown, ky
    [​IMG]
    My silkies are doing the same thing! At least my younger ones are!

They are the most broody, wonderful mommies in the chicken world!

I give mine some fertile eggs, and let them have at it!!

Kim in Ky.

5. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Hmmm... can they go broody even if they've never laid? I'm positive that only the oldest one ever laid an egg. The others were too young at the time and she's the only one I ever saw sitting there. I have too many chickens already. I want some eggs!!! Oh, well. They're great pets. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by