Silkie leg feathering?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CandySilkieGirl, Aug 6, 2013.

1. CandySilkieGirl

CandySilkieGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2013
    Oregon
    Okay, so my partridge silkie Ziggy never developed leg feathers, she is over a year old and From what research I did people have stated "They are not purebred silkies if they have no leg feathering" I ordered her and 5 other SILKIES from a hatchery and she is the only one who never got leg feathering. I recently purchased 2 buff silkie chicks. They are around 2 months old now and i noticed Lil' bit also has no leg feathers! I realize they will never be show quality, but i saw the mother and father of the buff's and no doubt she is a purebred. Is this a deformity? What causes lack of leg feathers? Does anyone else have silkies like this? He
    [​IMG]here are the comparisons between them and their "siblings" I know dusty has a crooked toe, I guess he was born that way! [​IMG]
    Sorry if the images are upside down.

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If htey have silkie feathering, they are pure silkie. Birds from a hatchery are almost always lacking in breed traits. In fancy breeds like silkies, the traits that are lacking tend to be obvious: wrong comb, lack of foot feathering, lack of crest, etc. In breeds like plymouth rocks, it is more a case of the details of the traits that tend to be lacking rather than the trait itself (poor barring, poor skin colour, etc.) For all breeds type is often lacking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by