Silkie Leg Injury

StardustChicken

Songster
Mar 9, 2020
Louisiana
Yesterday while doing my routine before-sunset-check on the flock around 5pm I found something troubling. My 15 week old bantam silkie roo wasn't using one of his legs, he was just dragging it behind him.

At first I thought it was related to the freak weather from the winter storm Uri. I quickly gathered him and my other bantam silkie of the same age in a box and brought them inside.

Northeast Louisiana isn't equipped for this kind of weather; snow several inches thick on the roads, everyone closed, authorities urging people to stay off the roads. Going to the vet just isn't an option right now, unfortunately.

After 3 hours he was putting weight on it again, but he was walking on his ankle with toes curled. Nothing feels broken and it doesn't look like he has any frostbite. I made him a splint to try and keep him from walking on his ankle. I think it might be an injury from jumping off a high perch? He's been eating and drinking fine. Is there anything else I can do for him for the time being?

I think what your doing is great. My brother accidently slammed the garage door on my chickens foot. It was bruised really bad and she bled a lot. She still has a huge scar but luckily I do my dogs grooming at home so I had some clot that stops the bleeding incase I cut the quick on her nails. I used that to stop the bleeding and wrapped her lag in paper towel and duct tape. LOL! I also soaked her leg in Epsom salt. It helped clean the wound and it definitely reduced the bruising. So maybe try soaking it. It could just be bruised really bad. Hope he gets well soon!!

I also soaked her leg in Epsom salt. It helped clean the wound and it definitely reduced the bruising. So maybe try soaking it. It could just be bruised really bad. Hope he gets well soon!!
Hmm...that could be another possibility. I was thinking more along the line of a sprain. He does have a history of jumping from troubling heights 😰
Definitely will look into Epsom salt when stores open up again!

Back
Top Bottom