Silkie leghorn and polish help???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mnm9933, Nov 13, 2012.

1. mnm9933

mnm9933 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2012
    Okay so ive asked this question a lot because i ve never had a chicken before. Would it be okay if i got 3 leghorns, 3 silkies, 3 polish, and 1 leghorn rooster??? Just to let you no these chickens and roo will be kept in the same coop. The coop and fenced in area are pretty big since i live in the country (MI) Please tell me if any thing is wrong here. [​IMG]

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    It will take a few weeks to get use to each other but there shouldn't be much trouble, but there may be a little bit of fighting between them!
    Good Luck!
    [​IMG]

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i would never but a large fowl breed roo with a bantam breed due to the fact that the large fowl rooster can injure or even kill a bantam hen by accident

4. mnm9933

mnm9933 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2012
    ugh great you two basically didnt help one says yes the other says no. [​IMG]

5. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    My silkies are in with my larger breeds and ive never had my roos injure them or kill them i had a leghorn roo with my silkie hens and he never harmed them by mating.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    lucky you i have had it happen with young birds and older ones a like. seen it happen many times as well

7. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    If they were raised together I doubt you'd have a problem. I've always had my banties mixed with my larger sized hens and never had a problem in 15 years. My chickens always have plenty of room to free range and are never in cramped conditions. I've never kept the really small banties such as sebrights. Most of my bantams have been cochins, silkies, d'uccles and OEGB who have never had problems with my larger roos or even the hens picking on them. Then again, I DO NOT tolerate aggressive roos in any way. If they show aggressiveness towards another animal or person they are gone immediately. I've had Buff Orpington, EE, Silkie, Langshan and bantam Cochin roos with my favorites being the Buff Orpington for their gentle nature and beauty.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  8. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA

I have seen it too! Not worth the risk..

9. HenFriend

HenFriend Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2012
    West Wales, UK
    Silkie and Polish seem to get on ok, have never kept leghorn. Have also heard stories of large roos injuring small hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by