Silkie limping and shaking head, neurological injury? *update*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by xmissjadie, Jun 16, 2011.

1. xmissjadie

xmissjadie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    This is Bebe she just started limping today but she's been doing this head thingy since I got her. She's one year old and is laying I got her last Saturday.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  2. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    She has had brain injury this is common in silkies with vaulted skulls. My vet suggested steriods for mine they worked great.

3. xmissjadie

Mar 14, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    Are you sure? How can you tell?

4. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    She looks and acts just like mine have I have had this happen twice before. One hen did not make it the other made it and is doing great but sometimes still does the head bobbing like yours is doing.

5. xmissjadie

Mar 14, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    Do you know of any home remedies to help her? Do they experience pain when they are like this? I don't want her to be in pain. Sorry for all the questions I'm just worried about her.

6. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I don't know of anything giving her some sugar water or yogurt could give her some vits & energy but the steroids is your best bet they its cheap not pricy at all now that I raise silkies I keep them on hand because its bound to happen with the vaulted breeds.

7. xmissjadie

Mar 14, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    Okay do you get those from the vet? Thank you so much! [​IMG]

8. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Yes just call your vet or go to your vet...Tell them you have a chicken with a brain injury and would like to get some steroids it helps the swelling in the brain which is what is causing her to limp and bobbling her head. She may never bobble her head again or she may always do it a bit. My girl still bobbles sometimes she she gets super excited over treats but its so little if you was not watching for her to do it you wouldn't even notice it.

9. xmissjadie

Mar 14, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    Okay I'll take her to the vet tomorrow! I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!

10. Teresaann24

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I hope she gets better for you. I will be thinking of you and her tonight in my prayers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by