Silkie lockdown day 17/ opened brooder question

tjmb1414

Chirping
Jan 18, 2022
Hi all,
First time incubating and it’s day 19. I lockdowned day 17 as I was told silkies hatch early.
On day 18 I opened incubator for a few seconds to add a sponge. I increased humidity with warm water before I opened the incubator. Are they ok? No pipping yet…. I read silkies hatch early. I’m worried I shrink wrapped them. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you, Tracey

I have had silkies go 21 days in an incubator. I had a silkie hen set on fresh eggs and hatch chicks 4 days apart. As long as your temp and humidity are good just wait patiently.

I have had silkies go 21 days in an incubator. I had a silkie hen set on fresh eggs and hatch chicks 4 days apart. As long as your temp and humidity are good just wait patiently.
Thank you! So you think adding the sponge didn’t hurt them?

For future, I think you could let the silkies go the entire 21 days. I haven't heard much about the difference between early hatching and the regular but, you do what you think is best. Have fun! 😊

For future, I think you could let the silkies go the entire 21 days. I haven't heard much about the difference between early hatching and the regular but, you do what you think is best. Have fun! 😊
Hi, Thanks for the advice! So in the future, should I start lockdown at day 18 or 19? Do you think opening the incubator to put the sponge in shrink wrapped them? No pipping

I do lockdown on day 19. I'm not sure about the sponge because my incubator I just use water to regulate humidity. Sorry. Have you candled these yet?

Back
Top Bottom