Silkie lost so much weight.. top knot issue?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickie Mamma, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    I have a gorgeous partridge silkie that has lost weight since putting her out in the coop with the others maybe 3 weeks ago. She is over 5 months old, fully feathered and has always been healthy. No poop on her butt, no discharge from eyes, nose, etc. I am honestly believing that she has such a large top knot, that she cannot see where the food and water is. I just brought her in and she has not stopped drinking and eating for the past 15 minutes. I tried trimming around her eyes and I cannot even find her eyes. Has anyone ever lost a silkie because of this? She fought me (so she still has some strength) when I was giving her Poly-Vi-Sol by dropper. I feel so bad, she was so happy to be out with all her family [​IMG] Her face is all wet now, so maybe I'll try to trim some more, if I could find her eyes. I am giving her non-medicated chick starter, she usually eats Flockraiser. Hopefully the higher protein will help?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    if you not showing her then cut that girl some bangs, she needs to be able to see where her food and water is. and your doing the right thing need to get her built back up.

3. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Thanks [​IMG] The sad part is... I was going to show her in August. Can't show a dead bird though.. right? [​IMG]
    She has perked up a bit, I think I noticed it in time ... hopefully!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Good to hear she is feeling better. I don't know how they can see no wonder she has lost weight, maybe consider getting her a seeing eye dog to help her find her food and water. [​IMG]

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Use a think piece of painter's tape or pink hair tape to tape her crest up as well as you and then trim the underfluff around her eyes. Leave her crest taped up. If you can see her eyes, she can see to eat and drink. If she is way underweight, she may need her own food and water supply away from the others for a short while. Some are not very aggressive at the trough!

6. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I have a pullet who also has lost weight. I wanted to show her, so a friend suggested putting a ponytail on her pouf so that she could see. Problem is, she keeps shaking it back out.

I think her coop buddy is keeping her from food, too, and am about to put her in with some babies to see if she will be nice and they will let her eat her fill.

7. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:[​IMG]
    She has been out there for about 3 weeks... if she couldn't find food or water, she would have been a goner after the first week. Maybe she just forgets where it is? [​IMG]
    I still can't find her eyes... I have never seen such a full crest before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by