Silkie Male... female????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Crilly23, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Crilly23

Crilly23 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2013
    Good morning all,
    I have 3 young Silkies (I believe born early summer) and am not sure what gender one of them is. He/she has full plumage on the tail and head, and is quite shy and skittish. However he/she does alot of chest bumping with one of the other chicks (which I believe is a male). I will try and get some better pictures, however, he/she is not a fan of being held so it is a little tricky to get close ups. The comb is larger then the one I think is a female, and smaller then the one I am sure is a male. The crest is round and full without streamers, but DOES appear swept back a bit. Any suggestions, thoughts?? Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It is a bit early to tell (Silkies are always difficult to sex until they get older), but I think it is more likely that it is a cockerel.

3. Crilly23

Sep 4, 2013
    Hmm I was hoping the opposite, as I am fairly certain my other one is also a cockerel.... I guess time shall tell. Do you know of anything I should be looking for? This one seems to make a lot of chatter noises.

4. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    How old in weeks? The start of summer depends on which hemisphere you are in. Could you get a closer picture of the comb? The size of the comb is important in silkies, as is the shape of the crest.

5. Crilly23

Sep 4, 2013
    I will have to get one tonight. I bought them off someone else who believed this hatch was born in June sometime.

6. Crilly23

Sep 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] This is the unknowns comb

[​IMG]

[​IMG] This is the one I believe to be a female...

[​IMG] And this is the one who I am fairly certain is a male...

7. Crilly23

Sep 4, 2013
    Are you able to tell with the new posted pictures?

8. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    I can't really tell, sorry. Nothing is jumping out and saying rooster to me. You could have a bunch of late bloomers.

9. Crilly23

Sep 4, 2013
    Thank you for taking a look. I am hoping that at least two of them are hens, if not all (unlikely though!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by