Silkie Male or Female?

Does this bird come from hatchery stock? I think pullet but the crest has me wondering -
hu.gif

I have an egg laying silkie that has head feathers like that. They got a little fluffier after laying, but it's stayed relatively the same. :/ 

That's leaving me hope then, does yours also have a comb like that or smaller?

At five months she is almost old enough to lay eggs. I believe, if a rooster, there would be little doubt by now. While the crest doesn't look right, everything else is hen. I assume there is no crowing. My silkie roosters were well developed by five months.

At five months she is almost old enough to lay eggs. I believe, if a rooster, there would be little doubt by now.  While the crest doesn't look right, everything else is hen.  I assume there is no crowing.  My silkie roosters were well developed by five months.

Thats some useful info, thanks. It hasn't crowed or laid an egg. But just what signs other than the crest are there that may prove that its a hen?

Last edited:
This is a picture taken from an old BYC post of a four month old silkie rooster that was for sale. If you compare this bird with yours…quite a difference.

Posted by "dozen chickens" in 2008

Last edited:
This is a picture taken from an old BYC post of a four month old silkie rooster that was for sale. If you compare this bird with yours…quite a difference. Posted by "dozen chickens" in 2008
Haha they do look different, now that convinces me. Thanks alot
1f44d.png

Back
Top Bottom