Silkie...male or female?

What age is appropriate for me to finaly let the coop open during the day so they can be out to free range? And will they go back to the coop since they have been raised there? I have 2 barred rocks and 2 isa browns 8 months old that are free range during the days .I am concerned how the older birdss would treat the babies.lol.
I let my silkie free range and it is the same age. It also has two foster moms and a bunch of other chicks that aren't silkies though.

I agree that the black one looks like your cockerel. As far as letting them free range, that will just depend on a few things. I brood my babies in the coop with the big girls so integrating is smooth and usually done by 4 weeks. Once they're fully integrated I let them free range with the big girls. At that point they watch the big girls to see how to act and I have a hen who takes place of a rooster and will alert if there is danger. 8balso have awesome older hens who once went after a cat who tried to get a baby. Said cat is now traumatized 😂 mine learn to go to the coop fairly quick but I do have to put them in the first night or 2.

I let my silkie free range and it is the same age. It also has two foster moms and a bunch of other chicks that aren't silkies though.
The 4 older birds have always been around the smaller ones coop they sit on it and hang out around them .I just wasnt sure if they roosters will try to grab them as they are very feisty with the isa browns.

If the roos do not like them it might not be a good idea to free range them yet.
I let the babies out .I have one adult rooster that is on lock down now as he couldnt leave the black silkie alone! Lol they seem to enjoy being out and they immediately take off to the coop if anything spooks them.i sat with them a little bit and put them back up! Thanks for all the information 💗 please excuse my country accent!! I have a problem.with my darker barred rock he is a PROBLEM!!

I let the babies out .I have one adult rooster that is on lock down now as he couldnt leave the black silkie alone! Lol they seem to enjoy being out and they immediately take off to the coop if anything spooks them.i sat with them a little bit and put them back up! Thanks for all the information 💗 please excuse my country accent!! I have a problem.with my darker barred rock he is a PROBLEM!!
How many pullets do you have? If you don't have enough then the boys will fight.

How many pullets do you have? If you don't have enough then the boys will fight.
8 pullets 3 roos
3 roos of I include the black baby🤗

Back
Top Bottom