Silkie males

JackBaker

Chirping
Jan 3, 2017
Hi Guys

I've got a question about silkie cockerels. Basically, I was considering getting some silkies in the not so far future but my problem would be that they would be my pets and if they bred, as I have read they go broody a lot, and hatched males I would want to keep them all. So my question is is it possible to keep silkie males together and for them to get on. I know it's a bit of a bold statement as all creatures have the potential to fall out but I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this? I have also read that silkies temperament is really good and that they're very docile. So I thought perhaps they might, although this may be my wishful thinking.

I currently have 4 silkie roosters and they get along just fine. Mine were raised together so that may make a difference?

Thank you. Do they live with females at all? I just know what I'm like and would be so unhappy if I had to re home all the boys so I thought I'd ask now to absolutely make sure. Perhaps if they grew up with dad he would accept them too then.

Thank you. Do they live with females at all? I just know what I'm like and would be so unhappy if I had to re home all the boys so I thought I'd ask now to absolutely make sure. Perhaps if they grew up with dad he would accept them too then.
Yes, I have several silkie hens, along with other breeds also. I have a few select silkies that I choose to breed together. My coop setup is such that I am able to have a separate area when I want to keep certain females with a specific male for breeding purposes. Silkies are normally very docile as you stated and they're just so much fun

If you will be hatching chicks, be ready for all those cockerels! They might be nice, or not. What will you do with the nasty ones? How many cock birds do you plan to actually keep?
Having chicks hatched at home is fun, but MOST cockerels aren't meant to stay, and are meant to be rehomed and/ or eaten. Don't hatch more than you can actually handle!
I have chicks every year, and only keep a very few cockerels, as replacement roosters. The others might be dinner, or sold, some to be in another's flock, and some to provide a meal for another family, after having a very nice, if short, life.
The chickens you buy at the grocery store have not had such a good life, and it's been much shorter too.
Mary

If you will be hatching chicks, be ready for all those cockerels! They might be nice, or not. What will you do with the nasty ones? How many cock birds do you plan to actually keep?
Having chicks hatched at home is fun, but MOST cockerels aren't meant to stay, and are meant to be rehomed and/ or eaten. Don't hatch more than you can actually handle!
I have chicks every year, and only keep a very few cockerels, as replacement roosters. The others might be dinner, or sold, some to be in another's flock, and some to provide a meal for another family, after having a very nice, if short, life.
The chickens you buy at the grocery store have not had such a good life, and it's been much shorter too.
Mary

I don't eat meat so I couldn't do that to them. I understand what your saying in terms of breeding and wouldn't let them just have nest all the time, but I think if they could I would like a nest out of them. Do you have problems with your silkie Cockerels bring together?.

If you are keeping multiple cockerels (ie males under s year old) with females, it is the females you should be concerned for. Young males are at the whim of their hormones and will harass the hens and pullets particularly, especially if you do not have a large free range flock and/or a dominant male that will keep them in line. This causes stress and stress leads to injury and illness. If you want to keep a number of cockerels, a bachelor pad or rooster flock is best. I appreciate that silkies are usually less aggressive or mobile than other breeds but can still make the hens/pullets lives a misery if there is more than one cockerel in a flock, especially if they are penned and not free range.

If you are keeping multiple cockerels (ie males under s year old) with females, it is the females you should be concerned for. Young males are at the whim of their hormones and will harass the hens and pullets particularly, especially if you do not have a large free range flock and/or a dominant male that will keep them in line. This causes stress and stress leads to injury and illness. If you want to keep a number of cockerels, a bachelor pad or rooster flock is best. I appreciate that silkies are usually less aggressive or mobile than other breeds but can still make the hens/pullets lives a misery if there is more than one cockerel in a flock, especially if they are penned and not free range.

Ok, thank you for the advice. I wouldn't want the hens to be brutalized to the point of balding and injury's. I didn't actually think of that. I shall have to look into it more. I could potentially always make a bachelor group for the males like you said.

Most people with no experience of cockerels assume that with more than one, the males fighting is the only concern, when in fact the females are as much if not more at risk, so you are not alone in that. They also do not realise that there is a huge difference between an adolescent cockerel and a mature rooster. Understanding this and the dynamics of a flock is key when keeping more than one male bird.
Good luck with your silkie boys.

About five months ago I decide to have a separate flock of Silkies and had my husband build a Silkie Coop because I love Silkies. I currently have 4 Cockerel and 10 Pullets, 2 cockerel are 5 month old and the other 2 is 4 month old and I'm to a point where I have to change the situation. My two 5 month old are harassing the girls too much and they started to attack me! It's too many boys in the hen house so I have to decide which ones I will keep and rest I need to re-home or put them with my free-range flock of 25 hens and sweet Rooster. I do have 5 chicks with 3 mama's rearing them so I'm not sure I want them their either. If you worry about the girls you need to have them separated from the girls for sure, that is from my experience. Good luck, I know it is hard to get rid of them because I want to keep them all, LOL!!

Back
Top Bottom