Silkie Mama & Her Babies - Need Help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mrszlopez, May 16, 2009.

1. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    I have a White Silkie hen with her 10 babies. They are about 2 weeks old. I had planned on keeping 2 or 3 of the babies & the mama & i want to sell the rest. Is it too soon to take the babies from her ? Ive never sold baby chicks before & im looking for some guidance. Also, how should i go about taking them from her without stressing her out ?

2. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    well, if you just wait depending on the hen, she will begin to spend less time with them in a month or so that would be a good time

3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I've taken them away as soon as 24 hours after they hatched.

I also sold a few after a week and the mama's were fine.

I have another hen who's going broody on me, so I will set some eggs for her to set... but I'm going to sell those then since I am keeping all of my last hatch.

Honestly, go ahead and sell the chicks you wanna sell now, it sounds like you are going to keep a few anyways. The mom won't notice if you keep them busy with some still being there.

(My silkie mama's usually baby those chicks for awhile longer then other breeds... they've gone as much as 8 weeks here!!!)

4. mrszlopez

mrszlopez Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Jackson,NJ
    thank you !! well, they are in my spare room right now with the other chicks in the brooder because weve only had them about a week so they arent ready to be with the silkie flock yet. But i think im just going to post them on craigslist.com

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by