Silkie-mass on chest?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by redheadchick, Oct 15, 2012.

1. redheadchick

redheadchick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2012
    Hey there!

I have one silkie in our flock and am not very knowledgeable about the breed.

Prince has always been very odd, he doesn't usually like to be with the other chickens and we usually find him sitting in front of the goat pen looking at them. We joke is our transgender chicken, because he acts like a rooster (although he doesn't crow) but looks like a hen. He is about 27 weeks old. he is eating and drinking normally.

I was holding him yesterday and noticed a gold ball sized area on his chest. It didn't seem to hurt him. It now feels like its more off to the right side. Is this a normal part of Silkie anatomy or should I be worried? Of course the ER nurse in me is thinking thyroid/pituitary tumor which would explain his confused behavior : )

Any suggesstions or explanations would be much appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    A full crop?

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    It sounds like you are feeling the crop. All chickens have them and if he has been eating it should be full of food. When you press on it it does it feel like feed inside? This is normal.

4. redheadchick

redheadchick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2012
    Thank you so much! Yes it does feel like that. So glad he is ok : )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by