Silkie Mauled by Dog/Slight lacerations/Any rememdies appreciated

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sam The Yam, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Sam The Yam

Sam The Yam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    Today my little silkie was mauled by my dog. It survived, but was quite scalped. I think the dog did more licking than biting and as feather were licked there was tears to the skin and the wound I have the most concern about is on the back of the neck where it looks like it is possibly opened up but it is hard to tell. The good news is that she is holding her head up well and seems to be functioning okay with her neck and eating and drinking. I went and got some to that Blue Kote spray for animal wounds and got her wounds sprayed pretty good. I also got some of the antibiotic and vitamin powder for the water. I have put some of the water in a small cream cup and have held it at her beak and put it up so her beak is going down in the water and forcing her to take a good drink which she did and would hold her head up to let it run down. I have her isolated and have a heat lamp for her. Are there any other things I could do to help her? Any advice will be appreciated.

Needless to say, it was not a good day for me, I have a tender heart to animals and am not happy with the dog right now. She has been around them alot and I know I have to keep a close eye on her, but I was busy working on a project and the dog got her. Poor little innocent silkie got attacked by a big bad wolf.

Thanks.

2. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    the wound-cote should keep it clean and as long as she is keeping her head up, eating, drinking, is active, etc. she should be fine.
    good luck,
    mike

3. Sam The Yam

Sam The Yam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    My silkie seems to recovering quite well and is doing good. It could have been alot worse![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by