1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie May Be Having First Egg, Questions!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kysilkies, Nov 4, 2009.

1. kysilkies

kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    We have a Silkie that appears to be laboring, the other chickens are also acting 'different' like they know something...Her hiney appears to be going thru contractions, for lack of better word, is this letting us know she's getting ready to lay or does it sound like something else?...She's 5mths old(+/- a week or so)...We're stressing a little so thanx in advance!!!!!

This is the baby having a baby(we hope), her name is Marty:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  2. kysilkies

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    We've brought her in the house for now as she doesn't look comfortable...She appears to have to stand, is that indicative of getting ready to lay an egg?...

Also, how long does it take, she's been like this most of the day now?!?!...

She's not pooping as frequently as usual either...

Should we be going down another road?...

3. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    My cochin bantam laid her first egg today..she was walking around as if she didnt know where she wanted to go..and clucking alot..So i put her in the nest box a few times..then she stayed there..she was in the box for a while..just sittng there. but a hour later a egg appeared [​IMG] ..but normaly chickens start from around 6 months from what ive heard.

4. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    I don't have silkies but my six chickens "practiced" laying eggs for several weeks before they actually laid one. They would go into the nest and kick the hay around- sit it there awhile come back out- go about their business- then repeat the whole process. It can take a while to lay an egg for some of them. I have one who gets right down to business and does so quietly and another who seemingly is stressed- making a lot of noise/walking back and forth/going up and down the ladder/in and out of the nest a few times- then finally she does it.
    Does your girl have a nest to practice in? Silkies are notorious for wanting to "brood" so she might really like a nice cozy nest to settle into. good luck- post your first egg photo [​IMG]

5. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Sounds like she may be egg bound (egg is stuck inside of her). Is she walking kind of funny (like something is stuck between her legs? Is she holding her tail a bit differently than normal? You may want to olive oil up your finger and feel around inside to see. [​IMG] You can do a search for more info to see if it sounds like what you are dealing with, but here's a couple links to other threads that may help:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=258892
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=257054

Edited to add for info.

6. kysilkies

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Thank you all!

Her tail feathers also seemed to be tucked, like she's clenching her hiney, is that a sign?!?!

7. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    Quote:Hmmm im not sure on that...But i would make her a lil nest with a golf ball or something in.incase she wants to lay

8. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:Sounds egg bound to me. [​IMG]

9. kysilkies

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Thanx ya'll...Not sure what was up, maybe just bound and not necessarily with an egg....

We kept her in the house last night, I gave her a nice warm bath and this morning seems almost back to normal but no egg...We're clueless but trying to learn...

10. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    Don't forget to set up a nest for her- and let her practice in it. You can put a fake egg in there to let her get the idea- my girls practiced for quite a couple of weeks before they actually laid and they were out in the run and still figured out to go up into the ark to lay that first egg- brilliant. Good luck with your first egg- its so exciting! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by