Silkie mix bsck toenail has somehow torn off help please

Sammi_0411

Crowing
Jun 20, 2020
England UK
So i came out this morning and she had lots of blood on her (shes white) couldnt work out where had to do a through search noticed most of her back toenail has come off wouldnt stop bleeding have cleaned area warm water and saline triee to apply pressure but she was having none of it what else.can i do plus is she able to go back in witth her 12 feathered friends as she gets easily stressed thank u
Sam xx

Attachments

• 20210319_140458.jpg
    20210319_140458.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210319_140255.jpg
    20210319_140255.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 8
You can use corn starch or flour to help stop the bleeding if pressure won't work (if you have blood stop powder on hand, that's even better). Powdered turmeric (the spice) will also work and is mildly antimicrobial. Once the bleeding is stopped then put a dab of plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment on it. I would keep her crated on towels or puppy pads long enough to let it dry up and start to scab over, over night may be enough. If you can put her in a wire crate in the run where the others can see her and she can see them, that will reduce the stress. If the quick wasn't too damaged the nail may grow back, if the quick was too damaged it will not. She will do fine either way.

I had that issue a couple weeks ago. I stuck her toe in corn starch to stop the bleeding & put her in her own crate for the night. By the next morning she was standing on it just fine & the bleeding had completely stopped so I let her back in with the others. She's been fine ever since.

Good luck, she'll heal no problem. Maybe have a nail & maybe not but it won't bother her.

Back
Top Bottom