Silkie (mix?) cockerel???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gladahmae, Nov 4, 2013.

1. gladahmae

gladahmae Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Benzie, MI
    I got some silkie chicks early this summer and I kept this one thinking it was a pullet but now I'm not so sure. It does have a straight comb, so maybe mix way back somewhere. If it's a boy it needs to go because I don't have enough girls for 3 boys.
    [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Could you post a picture of its front, so that I can see its comb? It doesn't look completely like a rooster from this photo, but I need to see the comb. For now, my guess is pullet.

3. gladahmae

May 17, 2012
    Benzie, MI
    yep! once I manage to get out there to take care of everyone I'll try to get a picture with the camera and not the phone. It's bigger than the other pullets, but smaller than the cockerels. it doesn't have the really obvious 'streamers' that the cockerels have, but it seems like they are there. I don't know. very confusing all in all.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

It's a full silkie. Sometimes the single comb pops up in those descended from hatchery stock. She is pretty.

She is coloured like a girl, and no streamers.

[​IMG]

5. aoxa

Don't judge them by the streamers until their crests are in... When they grow in and the crest feathers are in different stages of growth, it gives the illusion of streamers.

6. gladahmae

May 17, 2012
    Benzie, MI
    Really really? YAAAAAY! I was all set to put it up on CL for free today and everything! I've been hearing a new cockerel crow and thought it was coming from that area, but maybe it's my sex-linked boy in the pen next to it. YIPPEE! I wasn't sold that they were streamers or not, but as I said, it's kind of in between the one that I *know* is a boy and one I *know* is a girl for feathering and size so I was completely perplexed. Thanks again!

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a Partridge Silkie (hatchery-quality) pullet.

8. aoxa

All of the silkies in the picture are girls.

A front shot of the one in question would help me feel more comfortable in saying "For sure" but the other two ARE girls.

9. gladahmae

May 17, 2012
    Benzie, MI
    yes, i have NO doubts that the other 2 in the pictures are girls. :)

10. gladahmae

May 17, 2012
    Benzie, MI
    Better picture. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by