1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie mix with broken leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GitaBooks, Jan 16, 2017.

1. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Tonight one of my silkie mixes, a hen named Sapphire, was getting up into her perch when she landed on an old fence and managed to get her leg pinched in a tight spot. I found her hanging by her leg and managed to get her free, but she is acting like (and it feels like) she has a broken leg. I have her in a crate in the basement with some easy to grip and soft paper towels and wood chips. She also has water. Is there anything more I should do? I'm not sure how to tell how bad the break is or if I should splint it or just let it heal. She is in pain but is resting now.
    I've heard chickens heal from breaks well, especially if they aren't really bad. Should I just let her be for a few weeks with plenty of nutritious food and cage-rest?

Thanks for anything that can help.

Here she is when she was a pullet with her friend. Her leg has extra toes and feathered feet so it would be hard to get a good splint on it.
    [​IMG]

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    If a vet is not an option, I think cage rest is the best option. I suppose you could try splinting it if you are sure it is broken and where the break is, but a splint might bother her and stress her out more...I'm not sure about that. I'd be surprised though if she broke it just from that. You can give her a baby aspirin crushed in a treat ( I use a tiny bit of peanut butter on bread to hold the aspirin) twice a day, for pain. Is there swelling? If there isn't, you might try a warm water soak with some Epsom salts, to help pain and inflammation.

I had a cockerel once who had a similar accident,, and I found him hanging. He acted like he had some nerve damage..but I confined him and gave him the aspirin, and he was completely recovered in a few days. Even if it's just a sprain though, it could take a few weeks before your hen recovers.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  3. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Thank you so much. That helps a lot. : )

She is resting well today. I'm going to take her out and do a look-over and test how well she can walk, but for now I'm just letting her relax, eat some and stay hydrated.

4. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Good, hope she gets better soon. Keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by